If you’ve heard of essential oils at all, you’re probably curious about how they might be able to impact your own health. Aromatherapy can be a wonderful tool for supporting overall mental and physical health.
What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is the holistic and therapeutic application of genuine essential oils for enhancing the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual health of the individual. Humans have always instinctively turned to plants for healing. We use aromatherapy for preventative reasons, to relieve stress, to uplift personal perceptions, to alleviate pain and reduce inflammation, and to support balanced hormones among other uses. It’s a complementary therapy and should be used in conjunction with other things like meditation and even modern medicine in many cases.
Essential oils are comprised of naturally occurring chemicals that work in synergy with one another. Because essential oils evaporate quickly (known as being "volatile"), their molecules are easily inhaled. Without providing an intimidating lesson in olfaction (the science of the sense of smell), the inhalation of these naturally occurring synergistic chemicals provide triggers to our brain. These triggers affect our emotions. Inhalation of these wondrous molecules also provides physical benefit which may also work together to aid in our emotional state.
But first, let’s look at the problem we’re all dealing with: Stress.
The problem: Everyone is stressed out!
According to findings from the American Psychological Association, chronic stress – that is stress that interferes with your ability to function normally over time – is nearing a national public health crisis.
People are suffering from moderate to high levels of stress. 44% of people report rising stress levels. Concerns about money, work, the economy, and political upheaval are causing stress levels to skyrocket.
We could all benefit from better stress management — that’s probably why it’s one of the most common New Year’s resolutions. When we don’t give ourselves a chance to unwind, that stress can build up and make us feel miserable. Extreme amounts of stress can even have serious health consequences, affecting the immune, cardiovascular, neuroendocrine, and central nervous systems.
Increased stress can lead to many other problems. Insomnia, heartburn, headaches, a weakened immune system and more are all issues that can arise from chronically elevated stress levels.
These chronic levels of stress and the problems that come with it leave many people looking for answers. How do you deal with stress in our modern society?
Obviously, there are many prescription medications that help people manage stress, anxiety, and depression. But many people are looking for more natural options to help ease stress. There are many ways you can use essential oils for stress, in addition to a great self-care routine.
Stress happens when you feel that life’s challenges — like work, school or relationships — are greater than you can handle. Extreme amounts of stress can have serious health consequences, affecting the immune, cardiovascular and neuroendocrine and central nervous systems, and take a severe emotional toll.
Stress can make you feel upset, sad, angry, or uptight. You might even lash out or push away those closest to you. That’s why managing your stress is so important.
So starting today, try one of these five natural ways to help relieve stress:
- Grab your personal aromatherapy inhaler, add a few drops of Worry-Free Synergy, and inhale. Instant decompression!
- Add Lavender and Sandalwood Australian to your aromatherapy diffuser as you finish that project on your to-do list, clean the house, or read a book that you enjoy to give your mind a mental break.
- Make a roller bottle with Energy Synergy and apply to your wrists and inhale. This gives your senses a safe, natural boost. Then, do 30 minutes of activity to get your heart rate up. This can include running, a workout routine, walking, biking, hiking, etc.
- Make a roller bottle with Calming The Child and inhale. Endorphins released from physical activity and Calming The Child help make your stress feel less overwhelming.
- Laughter is a powerful antidote to stress, pain, and conflict. Nothing works faster to bring your mind and body back into balance than a good laugh!
- Add equal parts of Bergamot, Patchouli, and Grapefruit Pink to your aromatherapy diffuser and check out a funny movie on Netflix. The combo of Bergamot, Patchouli, and Grapefruit Pink essential oils create a positive, uplifting mood to help prep you for those laughs.
- When times are rough, grab a friend, a family member, or someone you trust. Their love and support can help you deal with your stress.
- Grab your favorite aromatherapy diffuser necklace and add a few drops of Tranquil Synergy to the pad. Tranquil is specially formulated to boost relaxation.
- Take some time out to meditate. Meditation doesn’t have to be formal or complicated. Simply taking three deep, full belly breaths can reduce your stress levels significantly and clear your mind so you can think clearly and calmly. If you want to learn more about meditation, watch for our Beginners Meditation Class or schedule a one on one with one of our gifted Mentors!
- Let it Go Synergy Blend is one of my personal favorites or you could create a special meditation blend uniquely your own! Orange oil is calming and uplifting. Peppermint oil helps brighten your mood and breathe easier. Black Pepper is sweet and warm, encouraging inner comfort and peace. Frankincense is a wonderful choice for it’s spiritually healing properties.
Check out this DIY blend for helping with meditation!
You can use it in a personal inhaler and keep in your purse or pocket or add it to a diffuser for a calming scent in your personal space!
Soothing Chai for the Soul
- 1 drop Cardamom
- 1 drop Cinnamon Leaf
- 1 drop Clove Bud
- 1 drop Ginger Root CO2
- 1 drop Black Pepper
- You might also like to add 1 drop Vanilla
Stress is inevitable. But with aromatherapy and these helpful tips, hopefully, you can manage your stress in a safe, natural way. Whatever life throws your way, you now have some solid tools to help you manage it! Peace comes from inside, so let’s start with ourselves.
See you on Potomac